Hello, readers! Although we are no longer posting new items on our blog, we are keeping it available so you can browse through our past posts. Thanks for visiting!

Oct 5, 2011

{Skeleton Portraits}


OoOoOoOoh, spooky!

Want to make your own?
All you need are some basic crafty supplies that you probably already have laying around.


I found two gold frames at Savers thrift store back in March of this year and I grabbed them with this very project in mind!  Once October arrived, I knew it was time to put them to use.

I sponge-painted the frames with black craft paint, allowing some of the gold to still show through.

I then printed out this skeleton head:
and cut out the skull, jaw, eyes and nose with an exacto knife.
I then taped it onto some burlap and sponge-painted the areas I wanted to be black.

Once the paint was dry, I cut a large oval around the painted image and hot glued the burlap directly onto the back of the frame.

(Does anyone else hate working with burlap?  Yuck, so itchy and messy!  Why do projects with burlap have to turn out to be so cute?)


Once the burlap was secured to the back of frame, I tied 2 bows out of orange and white polka-dot grosgrain ribbon.

I then hot glued the bows to the burlap.

A dapper bow-tie for the gentleman:


And a lovely hair bow for the lady:

You should definitely add some Skeleton Portraits to your Halloween decor this year!

-Annie

*Please check our Linky Party tab or our sidebar for the weekly parties we participate in*

Pin It

26 comments:

Ali Richardson said...

I am IN LOVE with this!!!!!!!! Can't wait to make my own :)

annies home said...

this is so very cute love it come see me at http://shopannies.blogspot.com

Jane@Little House of Projects said...

These are adorable! I might have to make some of these!

Stephanie said...

Really cute! But just the right amount of spooky too :)

*Shabby LOCO!* said...

Totally gonna make this! So friggin' cute!

Michelle said...

These are ADORABLE!!! I even have that material lying around that I can make them with! SO EXCITED!

I'd love for you to link up at DIY Thrifty Thursday @ www.thrifty101.blogspot.com

Hope to see you soon,
Michelle

Q @ JAQS said...

OK This is awesome - love it!

I would love for you to link up your creation at http://www.jaqsstudio.com/2011/10/jaqs-studio-first-ever-linky-party.html

Jamie said...

these are just perfect! GREAT job :)

Stephanie said...

Aw, these are SO cute! I'm going to feature them in my Favorite Finds Friday post this week! :)

Joni Nickrent said...

how Fun...awesome tute! Pop Art Minis

Maria Medeiros said...

Hello Annie! Really spooktacular frames! :D I just came by to say that I have your lovely button on my page and that If you like I have free Halloween Printables if you like.
You will find the links at the top of my page under CURRENT NEWS
http://cozycomfycouch.blogspot.com
Have a lovely weekend! :)

Brave Brooke said...

These are awesome! Thanks for the inspiration!

lesley said...

these are delightful! thanks for sharing!!!

lesley

freakingcraft.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

So cute yet so scary! The bows are the perfect finishing touch!

Christina said...

Love! Would be thrilled if you shared this at the Bewitching Craft link up over at http://igottacreate.blogspot.com!

Heidi @ Honeybear Lane said...

These are awesome! I love those kind of frames...I was just telling my husband that tonight. You did a great job! Visiting from TT&J!

Heidi
www.honeybearlane.com

Lindy@Itsy Bitsy Paper said...

These look amazing. I'd love for you to link it up to my Wickedly Creative Halloween Ideas Party.
www.itsybitsypaperblog.com

Stephanie said...

SUper cute!

petra said...

I love your blog! I made a link on mine!! greetings Petra

Fran said...

love love love these!!!!

nicolette {momnivores dilemma} said...

I featured this tonight at Creative Juice. By far one of the best Halloween projects I've seen this year...

:)

Unknown said...

These are perfect! I am a new follower!

Helby said...

Adorable! Great job!
I gotta get myself to a thrift store sometime and see what goodies I can find.

Jenn said...

these are so adorable. Thanks for sharing!
Jenn
http://housewivesofriverton.blogspot.com/

Chris said...

Hi Annie, these are so cute. Thanks for sharing. I recently found your blog and am now following. Please pop on over to my blog and perhaps you would like to follow me also. I would really like that. Hugs, Chris

Jaimee @ Havenwood House of Boys said...

These are so fantastic! I'm coming back to them, and sharing in a 13 for Halloween: Decor roundup on my blog tomorrow, with one pic and a link back to this post : )

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...